Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Food for Bachelors

Cooking food is night mare for Bachelors . And if you don’t have proper equipments for cooking; then forget about it. Numerous times my mother used to tell me to learn cooking so that it becomes useful incase I have to settle in a new place and cook my self. But I never took that piece of advice thinking that whole of my life I will be at my sweet home and there will be someone to take care of cooking. Whenever my parents were out, my sister used to take the charge and cook food for us. The only thing that I managed to prepare was Tea, that too with difficulty; and every time I prepared either sugar used to be more or milk used to be less. Cooking is not my piece of work, was the impression I had in my mind right from the beginning.

But at last the most feared thing happened. I was transferred by my company to Delhi. In Delhi I used to hang around in hotels on Asaf Ali Road and Karol Bagh. In afternoon I normally used to eat food from Bhaja Govindam restaurant on Asaf Ali Road, besides Delite Cinema. At night I used to eat mostly in Mool chand or Sarvana Bhavan of D B Gupta marg.
After some time I realized that it is now time to stop hotelling around and prepare food at home.

Then I shifted to Gurgaon, which is on the border of Delhi near Faridabad. The Kitchen was quite spacious in my new room which tempted me to cook food. But I did not know A B C of cooking. Its during this time that I started trying ready to eat foods. Infact I started experimenting on these foods and tried all modifications and combinations. Following are few of my masterpieces;

1) Maggi: God bless Maggi. It is the ultimate saviour for people like me. Some times my mother used to prepare this at home. But I never had Idea how it is prepared. One day while strolling in the market I brought it to my home to prepare it. I knew it gets prepared in 2 mins but how it is prepared I did not know. I spent more than 10 mins searching procedure to prepare it; on the wrapper. I thought that Maggi is common that company has stopped printing the procedure on the wrapper. At last I got it in the bottom. It was in only two lines and written in very small letters. Anyway I started preparing Maggi from that day onwards. Once my friend told me that we can also put vegetables in it, which enhances the taste. After taking details from him I started experimenting with all sets of vegetables. I started with peas, tomato and potatoes. Then I started adding Cauliflower, Radish, Cabbage, Baby Corn etc. In recent experiment I prepared Maggi with Panner. It tastes wonderful. The way of cooking is too simple. Just put a bit of cooking oil on frying pan. Put whatever vegetable you want(with a bit of salt and pepper). Cook it for sometime and then put small quantity of water in it. Then put Maggi and prepare it as usual.
2) Sunfeast Pasta : This is my recent favorite. I prefer Sunfeast to Maggi. Its very easy to cook and comes in different flavors. Sour Cream onion is my favorite flavor. Add peas and cheese into it to get a different taste. Want more veggies then add chopped Cabbage or Shimla Mirch to boiled Pasta. Once I had even added Schezwan Sauce just to test. I was not so good; but wasn’t bad either. So if you want some Pasta with Chinese twist; then try it.
3) Chings Schezwan Sauce: Oh, you will love this. I disclosing one of my favorite recipes. Boil potatoes till it becomes soft. Peel it. Add a bit of cooking oil in frying pan and put all sorts of vegetables which you have in market. Add little water, salt, pepper etc and Cook it for some time. Take the boiled( and peeled) potatoes, mash it, add finely chopped Coriander and Pudina leaves to it. Take this mixture and add it to the cooked vegetable mixture. Treat it with Schezwan sauce and lo…. You have prepared a great Chinese delite.
4) Cremica Salsa: This is something really spicy and hot. I have tried everything with sauce. In the above recipe if you substitute Schezwan sauce with Cremica Salsa it gives you totally different experience. Once I had it with chopped Lotus stems, onion leaves and boiled Bambino Pasta. Also once I had Cheese Pakora with it. Just cut cheese in big cubes, fry it in cooking oil for some time and then have it with Salsa.Easy! Isn’t it?
5) Sil Mayonnaise: When you want to have a salad, then Sil Mayo is best. Just have some mashed potatoes, chopped cabbage, onion leaves, Lotus stems, tomatoes and add mayo to it. Mix it well. This is the best thing to have with Pasta.


So friends, if you want something interesting, then go on experimenting. You will definetly come across some thing quite tasty. If you want to share anything then please post it.