Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Narayan is actually Jesus dude

There is too much fuss all over in media over Wendy Doniger and her book 'On Hinduism' which her publishers, Penguin India, have decided to pulp. Out of curiosity I googled the book and downloaded it in pdf format. After reading more than half of the book it did not seem at all that this book is written by an 'Expert' in Hinduism or of Hindus. I read another book authored by her which was translation of Manu Smriti.

While interpreting a culture or a cultural book or a religious book it is expected that ideas or thoughts are interpreted keeping that culture in mind. Wendy Doniger's writings interpret Hindu religion with western yardstick which lead to misleading and erroneous interpretations. While going through her books I remembered something.

About two years back I went for vacation in Goa with my friends. At night while discussing all the topics under the sun and then we stumbled upon  the topic of religion. While discussion one of my Christian friend told that Narayan means a person who walks on water and it was Jesus who walked on water and hence Narayan (or Lord Vishnu) is actually Jesus. So when Hindus pray to Vishnu they are unknowingly worshiping Jesus. Hindus were later misled by a bunch of brahmins and under their influence Jesus was sanskritized and transformed in to Vishnu. This was told to him in church by a christian priest.
I did not laugh on his face thinking that it will be rude. As any one would have done, I ignored and forgot this incident. The manner in which my friend recounted this fact, it seemed he had totally accepted whatever the priest had told him.

Many books in English about various topics on Hinduism are authored by non Hindus. If they continue to interpret Hinduism with such western yardstick I wonder if real Hinduism will survive after few decades.

4 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

After many years I see you are still blogging! I hope you are well!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Claire said...

Ah don't worry. I'm in London and there is a thriving traditional Hindu temple down the end of my street.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Pradeep Puranik said...

Hey Abhishek! I'm glad to see you blogging still. I think you are the only active person among our then blog-mates. I am occasionally active too.

About this post, mythology will always be shrouded by such statements. That's because much of it cannot be historically proven.

If we had the body/remains of Krishna and Jesus, we could have suggested a carbon dating to verify who lived earlier. But that option is not available to us.

Well, apart from that, I'd encourage you to see (if you haven't already seen) that there seem to be amazing similarities between the life of Krishna and Christ. Right from the first chapter.

Just a couple of links to chew on:

http://hinduism.about.com/b/2013/12/21/christ-krishna-10-connections.htm

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jckr1.htm

Cheers!

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Abhishek Upadhyay said...

Thanks Ashley, Claire and Pradeep.

I have stopped reading comment alert mails from Blogger since most of the comments on my blog are from Bots. It feels so good that people occasionally read my Blog :)

Thanks again

 

Post a Comment

<< Home